Who are they?
Halfaker & Associates, based in Arlington, Virginia, USA, is a service-disabled veteran-owned, woman-owned, 8(a), small federal government contractor, serving the military, Homeland Defense, Veteran Affairs, and Health & Human Services.
What did I do, when, where?
I worked them from April to July 2012, about 99% remotely, as a temporary employee, on a project for the Department of Veteran Affairs, to maintain the VetGovPartner web site (no longer active). (I was originally supposed to be a subcontractor, but at the last minute it was revealed that the terms of their contract from VA, dictated that all subcontracting companies had to be veteran-owned.) The site is defunct as of now, but was for business networking and session scheduling, before and at the VA's annual National Veteran Small Business Conference. (It was very well received there.) I added assorted features, such as:
- Requiring that users claiming to be government personnel must fill in supervisor information (with a different email, both .gov)
- Having the system send that supervisor an email requesting confirmation
- Day-by-day agenda view (both overall and what the user had chosen to attend)
- Ability to find more sessions like a given one
- Detecting attendance or room-booking conflicts
- Assorted reports generated and emailed in assorted formats (HTML, PDF, CSV) in the background
- Adding assorted fields and ability to filter on them
- Profile completeness checks for users and organizations
- Resource availability checking
What did they say?
What did I use?
Technologies, techniques, tools, etc. I used there included:
- Ruby on Rails 3.2 (with Ruby 1.9)
- MiniTest for testing
- Sunspot to use Solr for searching
- Prawn for PDF generation
- Resque for background job processing
- a private Github account for source control, and peer review via pull requests
- Pair programming once in a while -- I was on a team of three, and the other two were in the same city, so I was usually "odd man out"
- Pivotal Tracker for issue tracking
- Google Hangouts for chat rooms and Scrum meetings